Sunday, July 15, 2012

My vegetable terrace garden


I have started to enjoy seeing my terrace filled with pots and plants and the sheer pleasure of watching them grow keeps my going.I never knew I would get so addicted to them.

Nagging my husband into making some wooden boxes to accommodate more space for my tomatoes and chillies has brought in loads of greenery to my garden.

I started with 10 pots and now have 30 pots.I have also included a small bird feeder to attract birds and a bird bath too.

My vegetable garden now has -OKRAs(Vendaikai),SNAKE GOURD(Podalangai),Green chillies(Pachamolagai),Greens,Radish(Mulangi),KERALA CUCUMBER(vellarikai),Tomatoes and MINT(Pudina).

I am loving it.I am getting so addicted that a visit in the morning and evening to ensure that they are all okay cheers me up.



 This one is my kerala cucumber plant.I wanted to give it some support and added my old shoe rack to it.






These are my wooden boxes/crates that have tomatoes and chillies in them.





 Here,u can see a small kerala cucumber growing.




Here is my snake gourd growing on top with the ladder support that I have given.It grows so fast and the flowers so pretty to see.




 The picture above shows my tomatoes trying to get bigger.






 These are the flowers of the snake gourd.Now,I am sure you can see the beauty in the flower that I was talking about.





Adding a green net cooled down the place as chennai is ever subjected to heat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
MY name is Neelima and Im from chennai.I love gardening and I have been trying to get wooden boxes for the same. Can you please tell me what was the wood you used for the boxes and where did you get them?
BDW love your garden looks

Sumi said...

Thank you,Neelima for your kind words.I got them done locally with recycled woods.Alternatively,you can use get the vegetable vendor's wooden crates or used paint boxes to grow your plants.Ensure that you pierce holes in them for draining out excess water.